Thursday, September 26, 2013

Finding Peace



James 1:3-5 
"For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing. If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you, he will not rebuke you for asking."


Those verses have been such a comfort this week! This week I've really been feeling the temptation to be critical of everything. In other words, I lost my joy. Let me tell you, it's not fun. I got caught in my pity-party trap. But James 1:3-5 pulled me out. I realized that when my faith was being tested, it wasn't something I should worry or fret about, it was something to rejoice in! When my faith is tested, my endurance has a chance to grow! I hadn't really thought of it like that before. I mean, you're always told the hardships will come sometime, but I always thought of them as far off. In a Beth Moore bible study I was doing earlier this year, she said you have to answer the hard questions before you're in the situation. For example, do you think it was a spur of the moment decision for Shadrach, etc. (you know who they are:) to stand up for their God? No! They knew they would stand up for God, no matter what, and they answered that question before they were thrown in the fire. No second chances there. 

All right, so the title is finding peace, and I thought the picture described my position. I felt dry, like I wasn't very connected to God. But when I turned around and asked for wisdom, I felt alive again!! So I'll get back to the question of future. I want to decide beforehand what I'll do in tough situations, or just in the face of temptation. I want to train my mind into the habit of trusting God, and not letting myself get sidetracked. 

Thanks again for reading! 
Avery







4 comments:

  1. Mmm, good post Avery. Thank you for being so honest and sharing this! And I love that verse! Thumbs up, girly:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great application! I had forgotten about what Beth Moore had said and it fits perfectly with this example. I really like how you pointed out being critical is truly lack of joy ... thought bomb right there! Thumbs up Avery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Training our minds to trust God is a big part, but we also need His help to do it! I appreciate your discussing both!

    ReplyDelete