Wednesday, October 2, 2013

A Little Different Today...



So, I wanted to do something different today, so I'm going to write a scene with these two characters!



+





The chatter of seagulls fought to drown out the sound of thousands people, splashing, talking, and littering. In general,  making themselves a nuisance. A man dressed in what I'm sure you would not call beach apparel, leather pants and a linen shirt, sat on the huge rocks overlooking the swimming area. The man sighed. The one day he had a chance to meet with the sea, it was crowded with people. He stood up  to find a better place to sit. Alone. After wandering along the rocks for many hours, he began to tire. He slumped down to the hot sand, wiping his brow with his arm.  Then something moved below him. Someone small in a striped tank top ran up and down the rocky beach. The man stayed still. He didn't want to talk to anyone, even if they were only three feet tall. Then the girl looked up. She saw him. The girl scrambled as best she could up the sand dune, struggling. The man realized she was crying, sobbing more like. So hard in fact, that when she had almost reached the top, she fell, face first into the sand. 
The man winced, and ran to the girl. 
"Come now, wee lassie, what could be the matter with you?" (*Note. This is in a scottish accent!*) 
The girl took his hand as he helped her up. She looked up at him with her big tearful eyes. 
"Sir, I think I'm lost."  
The man smiled, grabbed his pirate hat, and settled it onto the girl's sandy hair.
"Well lassie, we're a team. You see, I'm lost too, although I think it's a fair guess that I want to be, where you did not." 
The girl lifted the big hat slightly off her head so as to seem him, and giggled. 
"Why do you talk funny?" 
"I don't talk funny, you do." 
"No I don't!" 
"Yes yeh do!" 
"Don't!" 
"Do!"
 The man crossed his arms and faked a hmph. 
The girl did the same. 
"Can I be your friend?" 
the girl asked,
"I've never met a pirate before. I always thought they would be mean," 
The man laughed, the most joyful, jolly, happy laugh you will ever hear. 
"That's the first time been told I was a good pirate, lassie, would you like to be my mermaid?" 
The girls eyes widened. 
"You could turn me into a mermaid?"
The man shook his head solemnly. 
"No, you see, mermaids don't take kindly to uninvited guests. You see, my last one changed her mind and decided to leave, and I need a new one. I think you would be a good choice." 
The girl squealed and proceeded to do a happy dance. Then she asked him to help her look like a mermaid. He helped her put seaweed in her hair, and make bracelets out of seashells. All the while the man coached her on how exactly to look like one. The girl had so much fun she forgot she was lost, until the sun started setting. 
"Mr. Pirate?" 
she asked, 
"where is your ship? Could you take me back to my parents? Last time I saw them they were in the swimming area, they work at the ice-cream shop there. I wish I had never gotten lost."
The man turned, and sadly said, 
"You really wish that? That it was like you had never been lost?" 
Then the man began to sing, a song the girl had never heard before, it was deep, and it sounded something like the waves, crashing against the rocks.  
It slowed, now it was more melodious, like the waves, gently     
rolling onto the sand, and then off again. Her eyes began to flutter, and the last thing she remembered was the man saying quietly, 
"Don't ever lose your imagination, lassie, don't forget the sea, don't ever forget me, your pirate, who was good." 
Lexie woke up the next morning in her room, and she remembered nothing. 


12 comments:

  1. Avery this was so good!!! I was so intrigued! Wonderful job dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! It was definitely enjoyable to read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Avery, I'm impressed. THAT WAS SO GOOD!!!!! Please please tell me that's in your mermaid story!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. umm.. how would I fit it in? You tell me! Thanks though!

      Delete
  4. whoa. *shivers* That was a beautiful scene, Avery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa. I'm so intrigued now! Please post more! I want to know what importance the pirate will play later ... And of course, more about Lexi. Is that a picture of her?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very intriguing! And very likable characters. I want to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do have a question, though. What is the setting? Is it modern times? The way they talk doesn't seem very modern, but the name Lexi is quite modern. Are they from two different times?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't really know? Probably from two different times... I didn't do very much planning, I just wrote it:)

      Delete