Monday, March 31, 2014

Mango Power Bars



So, last Saturday Savanna and I, and Chloe got to go and see the new movie Divergent!!
Many of you know that this is based of a novel written by Veronica Roth a couple years ago, if you didn't, now you do! Chloe just recently introduced the books to me, and I've read the first one (Divergent) and I'm waiting to read the next two! 

Okay, now to my topic.

Today you get a recipe! (i'm sorry about the lack of pictures... Mom and I ate it all up before Savanna could get out her camera. They really did look good:) 

Mom and I  have recently been collecting some more grain free recipes, or just higher-in -protein-than-in-starch recipes. In my search, I came across several recipes for power bars. These are either in the form of little balls, or in bars. The recipes all boiled down to just a few key ingredients. (I'll bold them in the recipe) I substituted a few things that we don't have in out kitchen, so it's more likely that you'll have these ingredients too!  

Also: I just wanted to try out blogging about food, so this isn't going to turn out to be a food blog:) 

Okay, so these bars are great for a high-protein snack, and can be super energizing for  an after work-out snack. They don't have any processed sugar, and are obviously Gluten-free and Dairy-free:) 

Mango Power Bars

1 c. Blanched almond flour
1 TBSP. Unsweetened coconut flakes
2 TBSP.  Flaxmeal(If you want to make this thoroughly gluten-free, use gluten-free flaxmeal that was produced in a certified gluten-free facility.)
2 TBSP. Coconut sugar
1/2 tsp. Baking soda
1 tsp. honey
1/4 tsp. Sea salt
2 eggs
1/2 c. Mango (you can play around with this one, I would suggest that you use a fruit that it more squishy, and has more moisture:) 
1/2 c. Chocolate chips (If you don't want processed sugar, don't use these:) I don't know exactly how it would taste if you used it, since I didn't, but go ahead and try!)

Preheat oven to 350ยบ
Combine the dry ingredients together. (Except for chocolate chips) Blend together. 
Stir the two eggs together so that the yoke is mixed in with the white, and add to the dry ingredients. Add the honey.
Cut your mango(or other fruit) into small bite sized pieces. Mix the fruit and chocolate chips into the batter, and spread into an oiled 8x8 pan. Let bake about 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. 
 Eat right away, or freeze it for later! 
Thanks again for reading:)
~Avery





3 comments:

  1. These sound delish, Avery!!!! it'll be fun to see what recipes are working for you.
    how's Insurgent going? Are you furious yet? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I wish I had all of those ingredients to try those bars right now! They sound very yummy.

    What did you think of the movie?

    ReplyDelete