Sunday, April 20, 2014

Worry-The sign of Fear

This weeks topic is worry. Now, I don't know exactly how I'll word this, so be gracious:) I was thinking/praying in the shower, asking God to give me something to blog about, and this popped up!
Soo.. I'm pretty sure as girls we've all worried at least once. Be honest.
So what do we do with it? I think I might have already done a post on this, so you might have heard some of this, but I have learned to some new things recently!
First of all: Identify what you are worried about.
Be it schoolwork, your hair, what you are going to wear, who is thinking about you, what they are thinking, whether or not you'll be able to do something you have been waiting for…. the list goes on and on!! I know I've been worrying a lot about what I will eat lately, so I'll use it as an example.
The past couple days, I have felt just plain anxious, and snippy with everyone. Not until Friday did I realize I've made what I'm eating an idol! I worry about whether I'll like it, whether it will make my stomach hurt, and what is wrong with my stomach in general! But now that I've identified that this is what I am most worried about at this present time, I can start to battle that fear.
Second: Face the fear. 
(I learned this from the Esther bible study, don't give me any credit!)
Once this fear is written, or said, it's power is vanquished. Keeping the fear in your head gives it power!
One thing that REALLY helps, is asking the question, what will happen if this fear comes true?
For example, say I accidentally ate something that had gluten in it, and feel sick for two weeks. (You ask the question: if                   , then                     .) If I feel sick, then I will be grumpy. I might not feel like exercising. Keep asking, then what? I will feel bad for not exercising. Then what? I will be angry I about feeling sick. Then what? I will probably snap and be annoyed with my siblings. Then what? I will be miserable for being so unapproachable. Then what? I will go back to God and ask him to give me strength to choose joy. (Fill in your blank, if                ,then  God    .) Your fear realized will always end with God.
Third: Choose Joy
Sometimes what you are worrying about will happen. maybe you won't get a good grade on something you were worried about, or you will get sick before an event. So what do you do when what you were afraid of comes to pass? This is an easy answer that is super hard to actually do!! Don't you dare think I  remember to do this when I most need to! Choosing joy has two steps: wanting to choose it, and asking God to give you the strength. There is no possible way you will ever be able to do this by yourself! You have to pray, constantly storm God's ears, he WILL answer if you ask!
So every time I begin to feel the familiar flutter of anxiousness, if I follow these three steps I'll be worry free. Right? *sarcasm that no one gets* This isn't going to work if you follow this like a list. As in, "okay step one, identify fear. Hmm, that would be spiders. Step two, Face the fear… wait what?? NO WAY!! That is totally not in my comfort zone, don't you dare tell me to be brave!?" (Okay you probably won't do that, but really, this isn't a fool proof list, it takes God's strength to just think about what you might be afraid of!) Please remember that I do NOT in any way have this mastered! Just because I'm writing this down does not mean I've got it figured out:) I'll leave you with this verse.

Psalms 119: 5-8
"Oh, that my actions would consistently reflect your decrees! Then I will not be ashamed when I compare my life with your commands. As I learn your righteous regulations, I will thank you by living as I should! I will obey your decrees. Please don't give up on me!"

Thanks for reading! Jesus will never give up on you, no matter how much you worry and fret.
~Avery

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate your thoughts on fear! This is a good follow-up to the journal prompt from a couple weeks ago. :) And I am glad you clarified that this is not just a magical checklist that, once followed, will disarm all of one's fears. And, lastly, I found it really helpful that you gave a specific example - one with which I can identify (though in a different way). Thank you so much for sharing honestly!

    ReplyDelete